|What is NANO?|
The nanomaterial is the substance 1 to 100 nanometer. One nanometer equals one billionth of a meter and 1/80 thousandth of the width of a human hair.
Various kinds of nanoparticles have been introduced as products for industrial use or mass consumption since existing material, shrunk down to nanosize, develops entirely new properties. Silver in nanosize, for instance, is particularly lethal to bacteria, which is the reason for the current use in refrigerators, vacuum cleaners, shoe insoles and other products requiring antibacterial or deodorant properties. The lotion containing titanium oxide nanoparticle is popular as UV ray blocking sunscreen.
In 1959, Richard Fineman, Nobel prize-winning physicist predicted that the future scientists would create the products with atomic arrangement.
In 1974, Norio Taniguchi interpreted the precision machining by nanotechnology.
In 1982, Ryoji Ueda, physicist invented the nanometer material with the scanning electron microscope. Humans started studying various peculiar functions of nanomaterial.
In 1994, biological nanoscience started to develop.
In 1997, nano Chinese herbal medicine also started to be studied.
In 2003, Tian Li Medical Institute in Japan started to study nano health foods.
|What are NANO health foods?|
Most of health foods are difficult to dissolve in water and to release the active component because of the larger particle size. The particles agglutinated with the traditional processing method are impossible to break down, which causes the problem that the active component from the nutrient-rich health foods ingested is theoretically difficult to be absorbed into the body. Tian Li Medical Institute has solved the problem of digestion and absorption , processing the foods with the most advanced technology, nanotechnology.
This mechanism owes nanosized particles.
1. When the particles are small, they become easily absorbable and the more nutrient component is absorbed. The nanoparticle scale change allows them to enter a cell easily. The nano ginkgo biloba extract, for instance, is capable of passage through the blood-brain barrier.
2. The smaller the food particle is, the larger the number of that becomes, which means the larger total surface area of the particles. When the atom number on the surface of nanoparticle increases, the surface atomic configuration becomes deficient. Most of the atoms bound to that of another substance allow the high activation and enhance the nutrient component. The atoms on the nano ginkgo biloba extract particle, for instance, may activate the brain cells with the high chemical activity when they are bound to certain part of the brain cell.
3. When the particles of substances become smaller, the property changes, which enables the side-effects caused even by Chinese herbal medicine to disappear. For example, the nano ginkgo biloba extract particle has no side-effects.
4. The particles also increase the absorption of light, when they become reduced in size to some degree, which allows them to absorb the solar energy and store the heat. The supporters or the socks made of the fiber containing the nanoparticles of mineral material are thermal and protection against cold.
5. The nano silver particles have high antibacterial and disinfecting power and show significant sterilization against bacillus and cocci of pathogen. The mechanism is as follows: the nano silver particle has high catalytic reactivity and produces atomic oxygen, and the atomic oxygen sterilizes with oxidizing properties. The nano silver particles also release the silver ion which combines with the negatively-charged bacterial protein to denaturalize the bacteria. When the silver ion combines with -SH of the bacterial protein enzyme, the bacteria lack the activity of protein enzyme and are killed. After that, the silver ion comes out of the bacterial debris to contact with other bacteria, which is repeated for sterilization. For example, we made Nano Deodorant Card utilizing the mechanism.
Back to Japanese Top Page